Sunday 12 September 2010

I'm flying out tomorrow morning and I haven't finished packing yet

The airline's 20kg baggage weight restriction has made things very difficult. I won't be coming back until mid-February and between now and then I'll experience both temperatures around 30 degrees celsius when I arrive and a winter where the temperature drops to single digits, perhaps even negative numbers (but I doubt there'll be much snowfall in Tokyo since they have neon signs that are on all day and cos of climate change, y'know). So I gotta pack all sorts of clothes (from thin dresses to my winter coat), plus a few books, some hardware, toiletries and, uh, just stuff. Last time I checked (I've avoided the stress of packing for the past couple days now) my luggage was at 21kg and I haven't finished packing, but there's nothing else I can leave behind that I haven't aready unpacked. My backpack/carry on bag is also going to be heavy with my latop, a book, a towel.. The only option left is to post the remaining stuff straight to the dorm.

To get to the dorm I must take a train from the airport to meet the dorm rep at Keisei Ueno Station, then we'll take a train from there. It's been strongly recommended that I use a baggage delivery service at the airport to make travelling by public transport as easy as possible (for myself and other users also I suppose). The service will deliver my luggage the next day, so I must have a bag packed for my arrival day, night and the next morning. I had originally tried packing one medium-sized suitcase and a little one, but the weight of two suitcases alone took up a significant portion of the weight allowance. So I've had to move everything into one big suitcase and I'll bring a big canvas bag to move stuff into there and take on the train before sending everything else off.

No comments:

Post a Comment