Friday 17 September 2010

I haven't seen any pigeons here but they have massive corvids/black birds that make non-birdy sounds. They sound more like someone yelling, or maybe someone was in the trees yelling.

So far I have made two very silly mistakes.

1. Going home yesterday I got on a train at Takadanobaba going the wrong way.
But it wasn't long before we got to the next station. I got off and we were on a bridge overlooking a street where a three-storey arcade towered over us. It was lit with coloured neon lights from top to toe, inside and out. I thought it was pretty awesome. The trains going the direction I needed were packed tight with people and I couldn't get on the first one cos it was so full, but everyone else that needed it managed to squeeze in and I was left on an empty platform. I decided I'd get on the next one cos I was very tired and they don't have benches on the platform. I squeezed into a gap right in front of the door and I had to hold on to the space above the doors so that if someone shuffled I wouldn't fall back out before the doors closed. It was only like that until Ikebukuro where two thirds of the passengers got off; it's where a lot of train lines meet. I'm very glad the trains have air con but when it's packed like that it wasn't strong enough whereas it's too strong if you're using the train in the middle of the day.

2. I bought a pillow yesterday and slept really well last night. I'd arranged to go to the town hall with the RA, to process some forms, at 10am, so I thought I could have a lie-in and stayed in bed until half 8 forgetting that that's when breakfast stops being served. When I got to the canteen, the lights were off .
But the couple that manage the dorm were kind enough to give me two slices of bread, cut oranges, a glass of milk and a glass of water, and sachets of butter and jam*. I suppose that's cos I'm the silly gaijin girl that speaks hardly any Japanese.

*sachets = squeezy butter, at first I thought he was trying to give me mayonaise but he said butter. mhmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment